Tuesday 10 May 2016

Why we must discuss 'One Nigeria'



"For better for worst" can work only when both parties willingly enter a union regardless of each other's fault.
In the case of a forced marriage however, it is doomed from the start.
Nigeria IS NOT 'one Nigeria' and I'll put forward my facts in support of this argument.



1)Nigeria is a conglomerate founded solely for the purpose of imperial commercial interests.
2)The nation states that make up Nigeria did not hold a conference to decide the way forward after independence.
As a result of the above cited facts, we are functionally an unwieldy, 20th century tool that is now very much obsolete in the 21st century.
The 'One Nigeria' clamour I'm afraid, is founded on sentiment rather than reason and as such, is perilous.
I'm all for 'Unity in Diversity', it is prudent to be a cog in a much larger and efficient wheel but we should be pragmatic enough to realise when our interests are best served individually.
One of Nigeria's finest intellectuals in the person of Nobel Laureate, professor Wole Soyinka has expressed the same opinion, in his own words: "don’t go around saying ‘the sovereignty of this country is indivisible, this won’t happen under my watch, it is not negotiable’. That type of language would only make matters worse.”
I have put forward my argument and the requisite facts to back it up, I implore 'One Nigeria' proponents to do same.

No comments:

Post a Comment